2020 Yamaha YZ250FX
Your Power. Your Way
This x‑country racer has all the features to win including the smartphone power tuner app that adjusts the bikes settings to your style and the track.
- Yamaha Power Tuner App: Yamaha's exclusive Power Tuner app puts the flexibility and precision tunability of the GYTR® Power Tuner into your smartphone. Make fueling and ignition timing changes instantly and upload them to the bike for the ultimate in track-side tuning. And for 2020, a handlebar-mounted map switch allows you to adjust preselected engine maps on the fly.
- All-New Hare Scramble/GNCC® Racer: Based on the championship-winning 2019 YZ250F™, featuring Yamaha's revolutionary front-intake, rear-exhaust, liquid-cooled, DOHC 4-stroke power plant with an added sixth gear, wide ratio transmission, and a range of cross-country upgrades, the YZ250FX™ is an “out-of-the-box" Hare Scrambles/GNCC® competition machine.
- High Performance Engine: The engine is based on the championship-winning 2019 YZ250F, and includes all the same race-winning technologies. The cylinder head, exhaust system, fuel injection, drivetrain, electrical system and more were updated to offer improved power across the rev range. Together, the result is improved peak power, better power delivery, and even tougher durability.
- Tuned Chassis: A new version the bilateral beam frame found on the YZ250F is utilized for the 2020 YZ250FX. The forged section at the swingarm pivot and engine mounting brackets provide a nimble lightweight feeling in the tight technical terrain while still providing control in fast sections. As always, Yamaha's class-leading KYB® suspension ensures maximum control and traction.
- Cross Country Features: With the electric starting system, a 2.16-gallon fuel tank, rugged plastic skid plate, 18-inch rear wheel and XC racing tires, the YZ250FX is ready to win right out of the box.
- Unique Engine Tuning: The revolutionary front-intake/rear-exhaust, high-performance liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 4-valve, fuel-injected engine has been tuned to challenge for race victories in the highly competitive GNCC® and Hare Scrambles race series. New intake and exhaust ports work with a higher compression piston for a wider spread of power without losing top-end performance.
- Yamaha Power Tuner App: Breaking new ground in the industry - again - Yamaha created the Power Tuner app, which brings the power of the GYTR Power Tuner to your iOS® or Android® device. Using wireless connectivity to talk to the bike's onboard CAN-bus network, the app allows owners to adjust air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps to tune engine performance for track conditions, record race log information, and monitor a range of data such as maintenance and system diagnosis, engine run time, and more.
- Adjustable Engine and Fuel Mapping: A handlebar-mounted map switch allows the rider to quickly select between preloaded engine maps—loaded and configured in the Power Tuner app—to account for changing track and weather conditions. The fuel injection system uses 3D-mapped electronic control for the fuel and ignition timing that are optimized for cross-country racing.
- 6-Speed Gearbox: A 6-speed transmission is used to ensure the right gear is available for the wide variety of terrain found in cross-country racing. Updated gearing ratios and a new heavy-duty, large-diameter clutch bring enhanced durability in the extreme conditions of a 3-hour GNCC® race.
- Forward-Thinking Engine Design: Reversing the cylinder head and placing the intake forward and the exhaust to the rear allows for a straight shot, downdraft intake and straight exhaust port for maximized engine performance.
- Mass-Centralized Electric Starter System: The YZ250FX features a compact, centrally-mounted electric starter system to minimize restart delays mid-race, and add convenience everywhere else. Powered by a high-capacity and ultra-lightweight four-cell lithium-ion battery, the system adds minimal weight.
- Slim New Bodywork: All-new bodywork is more compact than ever, to ease the rider's movement across the machine in tough terrain. The fuel tank now provides 2.16 gallons of fuel with a larger fuel cap opening, and the graphics are still embedded in the body moldings for long-lasting good looks.
- Light and Strong Aluminum Frame: An all-aluminum bilateral beam frame provides strength, lightness and durability for cross country racing conditions, and comes standard with a rugged plastic skid plate.
- Advanced Suspension: Industry favorite KYB® fully adjustable spring-type forks with speed-sensitive damping and a KYB® rear shock featuring a large 50mm piston. Both the fork and rear shock have been thoroughly tested and tuned specifically for cross country racing.
- Purpose-Built Tires: Special cross-country racing Dunlop® tires are used to maximize traction while delivering excellent durability.
- 270mm Front Brake: Large 270mm front disc brake coupled with high-performance pad material offers outstanding machine control and performance, with exceptional stopping power and controllability.
- Practical Touches: Quick-adjust clutch, wide 55mm platform footpegs, four-position rubber-mounted handlebar clamps, aluminum handlebars, and a side stand are standard for added rider convenience. The YZ250FX is also pre-wired for an optional radiator fan for the most grueling conditions.
- Easy Servicing: The air cleaner cover features tool-less access to the air filter. Thanks to a WR®-style fuel level sensor in the tank, the YZ250FX includes a convenient fuel readout along with an engine warning indicator on the handlebar.
- Sealed O-ring Chain: High-quality O-ring chain is tough, durable, and lighter for 2020, too.
New For 2020 Features
- All-New YZ250FX: From fender to fender, the YZ250FX is all-new. New engine, improved electronics, new frame, revised suspension, a thinner and lower body, and more—this machine is ready to put riders on top of the podium.
- Engine Type: 250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
- Bore x Stroke: 77.0mm x 53.6mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.8:1
- Fuel Delivery: Mikuni® fuel injection, 44mm
- Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Chain
- Suspension / Front: KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive damping; fully adjustable, 12.2 in. travel
- Suspension / Rear: KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5 in. travel
- Brakes / Front: Hydraulic disc, 270mm
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 245mm
- Tires / Front: 80/100-21 Dunlop® MX3S®
- Tires / Rear: 110/100-18 Dunlop® MX3S®
- L x W x H: 85.6 in. x 32.5 in. x 50.0 in.
- Seat Height: 37.6 in.
- Wheelbase: 58.3 in.
- Rake (Caster Angle): 27.2 deg.
- Trail: 4.6 in.
- Maximum Ground Clearance: 12.6 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 2.2 gal.
- Wet Weight: 245 lb.
- Warranty: 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
NOTES:Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models. The riders depicted on this website are professionals, and all of the action was shot on a closed course. At Yamaha, we want every ride to be safe and enjoyable. Always dress properly for your ride with a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing. Avoid excessive speeds and never engage in stunt riding. Never ride under the influence of alcohol or other drugs; it is illegal and dangerous. Always inspect your Yamaha before riding. Read the Owner's Manual and the product warning labels before operation. Yamaha and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation encourage you to ride safely and respect the environment. For safety and training information, see your dealer or call the MSF at 800.446.9227.
- Engine Type
- DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
- Bore and Stroke
- 77.0mm x 53.6mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Mikuni® fuel injection, 44mm
- Front Suspension
- KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive damping; fully adjustable, 12.2 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Hydraulic disc, 270mm
- Front Tire
- 80/100-21 Dunlop® MX3S®
- Rear Suspension
- KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5 in. travel
- Rear Brakes
- Hydraulic disc, 245mm
- Rear Tire
- 110/100-18 Dunlop® MX3S®
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 245 lb.
- Fuel Capacity
- 2.2 gal.
- 58.3 in.
- Ground Clearance
- 12.6 in.
- Seat Height
- 37.6 in.
- 4.6 in.
- 27.2 deg.
- 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive
- Team Yamaha Blue
- 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)